ICL General Locksmiths and ICAL Auto Locksmiths are not just assessed for adequate training and competence , all members are also vetted via criminal record checks and their insurance is checked as current and adequate for the services they offer you the customer .
Many trading locksmiths advertise services they are not properly skilled or insured to offer , this is due to lack of legislation and regulation in the locksmith industry in the uk , many offer cash in hand services part time around a job , others just glean some info and tools from online forums and offer a service they are not insured or qualified to offer .
The problem for the customer is knowing how to seperate the real locksmiths from the rest , this is difficult as all ads claim to be locksmiths , although many good locksmiths do exist that are not affiliated to any organisation , there also exists a large number of uninsured and unskilled rogues trading and advertising in this unregulated industry.
In Picking an ICL or ICAL member , you eliminate the risk of getting caught out and remove the hard job of seperating the good from the bad and the real from the fake locksmiths out there , ICL and ICAL members are all properly insured , vetted and competency checked , meaning you the customer get the skilled tradesmen you are paying for without the risk.
ICL Members wish to offer fifteen basic pieces of advice about the security of your home, based on the experience and knowledge of Institute Members:
- Consider changing all outside door locks when you move home
- Fit a BS3621 mortice lock to the front door
- Fit a 5-lever BS3621 mortice lock together with top- and bottom-operated bolts to side and back doors
- Fit appropriate locks to the top and bottom of French windows and patio doors
- Fit window locks to ground floor and upstairs windows
- Don’t leave door keys in visible or obvious places such as under the doormat
- Lock all your doors and windows when you go out
- Don’t leave ladders lying around
- Keep your sheds and outbuildings locked; burglars will use YOUR tools to gain access to YOUR house
- Close your curtains and leave a light on in the lounge and bedroom if you are going out for the evening
- Always activate your intruder alarm before you go out – many insurance companies will refuse to pay out if you are burgled and you did not activate an alarm
- Don’t leave curtains and blinds drawn during the day – they will attract burglars
- Cancel your milk and paper deliveries if you are going on holiday
- Ask a neighbour to remove any post or newspapers left showing in your letterbox
- Cut your lawn before you go on holiday.
ICAL members wish to offer some basic advice on car keys that may help ;
1. never leave your car keys in view from windows and letterboxes
2. always check your car door is locked after using remote fob
3. never leave keys near a microwave oven
4. do not get conned into buying 2nd hand keys as many can never be used on another car
5. always have a spare key
6. keep spare keys seperate , never on the same bunch .
7. never leave the car engine running whilst clearing windscreen while car is unattended
8. keep important documents like car security passes and V5 documents indoors, never in car
9. vans should have additional security locks fitted
10. never leave keys with an unknown untrusted 3rd party such as car washes etc
we hope this simple advice will help many keep safe , ICL and ICAL members in your area will be happy to advise you on your specific needs and deal with your emergency needs , you can find your local member by using our find a locksmith pages .